TwitterPinterestInstagramEmailHomeAboutGuest PostsContact

Monday, September 13, 2010

The best kind of silence

The more time I spend in silence the more I grow to appreciate it, I say this at the risk of sounding like a loner, but I do not necessarily mean sitting alone listening to the sound of you inhale and exhale, neither do I mean the kind of you-pissed-me-off-and-now-I-will-not-talk-to-you silence, I mean more comfortable silences, like those shared with the ones you love.

I can be the first to admit that silence is AwKWarD, there is that kind of silence where you feel you have to say something to the person you are with before you self combust but the only problem is you have no clue from heaven what to say and if you should say it at all.
*insert cricket noise*
It's never funny in real life.... rephrase: its never funny when it happens to you, but when watching cartoons and the awkward silence is filled with the cricket noise, it's FUNNY!
But out here in the world outside Courage the cowardly Dog and Dexter's Laboratory, awkward silence is usually followed by an awkward statement, that is followed by more awkward silence and before you know it, it becomes your sole mission to avoid that person at all costs, like "oooh there they come, and here I go".

On the flip side, silence can be our friend, it reminds me of a saying "speech is silver, silence is golden"
There is nothing more special than being able to let the silence between you and your friend, boy/girlfriend, sister, brother, mother, husband/wife (we get the point) manifest between you and not feel an ounce of difference. You can sit there in absolute silence and not feel uncomfortable, obliged or like you straight want to run for the door screaming help.
I've had a lot of those lately, and I am so grateful for it, because the more I can enjoy comfortable silences the more I feel I am building a family, a family that finds meaning in my silence as much as they do in my words.
The best kind of silence is when nobody even notices there is a silence.

Enough of my words, lets use somebody else's.

Sometimes Silence is the Loudest Kind of noise
Bassey Ikpi

Sometimes silence is the loudest kind of noise
Like sometimes it was best when
Girls were girls and boys were boys.
Like back when freeze tag was a mating dance.

Like back when "Do Over" meant you got another chance.

Like back when anxiety was worrying if Wonder Woman would make it out alive.

Like back when freedom was sliding backwards on a slide.

Like back when success was jumping off a swing and

Landing on your feet, then

Doing it all over again.

Like new shoes made you run faster.

Like getting Ms. Gross again for math was a disaster.

Like
failure was a word we hadn't even learned to spell yet.
Like
promises were sealed and kept with pinky bets.
Like a challenge was a double dare.

Like ugly was a cock-eyed stare.

And you liked it...

Like when you flipped your eyelids inside out

To impress that boy across the room,
'Cause that's all it took.
And there was no such thing as too soon,

As long as you checked the right box in that note from across the room,

The one that he...passed her.

Back when, "I don't know, maybe" was a legitimate answer.

Back when, "I need space" meant he needed more elbow room to draw,

So he got on the floor and he colored outside the lines.

Like the lines of color were on the floor,
So we just existed in sandboxes and playgrounds.
And we hop-scotched and dodgeballed

And
everything I needed to know, I learned in a shopping mall.
Like don't wander off on your own,

Like know who you are,

Like know where you came from,

Like never let go of your mother's hand no matter what you do,
Like if you get lost, just stand there until someone finds you,
And someone will always look for you

Because someone will always miss you

And someone will always find you

And when you cry, someone will always remind you

In that quiet, quiet lullaby voice,

That sometimes silence is the loudest kind of noise.


I almost died when I read this... I hope this cheers up anyone that's reading this.

Lu3Lu
xx

1 comment:

  1. i heard that if you share a silence between you and your boyfrend or friend..and both of you are comfortable with it..then it means that the relationship is in a good place!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by & leaving a comment